There is little doubt that lunging can have an important role in the equestrian world, by helping to gain horses' trust and understanding, develop their athletic ability and balance, as well as providing a valuable warm up procedure for work under saddle.
Lunging is frequently used by horse handlers and breakers as the first stage of familiarizing horses with equipment. After these first stages of breaking in, the rider will aim to work the horse in a way that encourages acceptance of the driving and restraining aids in a calm and compliant way, as this is the essence of the progressive gymnastic exercise which develops the back muscles and builds a top line that will help the horse to perform with ease.
A major objective in the horse’s training program is to encourage the horse to carry more weight on their hindquarters and by so doing, lighten the forehand, developing suppleness, athletic ability and responsiveness.
The Pessoa Training System will help to develop the horse’s back muscles, firstly working in a low stretched position and gradually encouraging more engagement from the hind quarters so that the horse lightens and raises the forehand, which will assist with improvement to the horses response and balance.
The Pessoa Lunging System was invented by international show jumping rider, Nelson Passoa. This system is designed to encourage balance and a gradual build-up of the topline. It consists of an easy-to-put-together array of ropes, clips, and pulleys,
and is used in conjunction with a training surcingle while the horse is being lunged.
**Don't let all the lines and snaps intimidate you!**
It's VERY easy to use, and a great work out for your horse if you are unable to get in the saddle! It's also awesome to re-school the horse's frame, and to teach those youngsters how to carry themselves properly.
Based on the principles of pressure and release, the Pessoa Lunging System helps to place the horse in a better position to assist muscle build-up while less experienced horses can be guided into the correct shape.
There is a bungee for the rear bumper which is covered by a faux fleece detachable cushion. The bungee affords expandability and 'give' and encourages the horse to move forward into the bridle.
- Consists of easy-to-put-together array of ropes, clips and pulleys as well as a breeching strap that passes behind the horse's hindquarters and is used in conjunction with a training surcingle while the horse is being lunged
- The hindquarters are engaged as the horse is asked to go round in the front
- Encourages the horse to take weight off the forehand and bring his hindquarters under him- promoting balance
- Encourages a gradual build-up of topline
- Easy to assemble
- Can be used in four different positions
- Adjustable length in key areas to fit a wide variety of horses
- Fleece covered breeching strap to avoid rubbing
- Detailed instructions included
- Training Surcingle, bridle, bit & lunge line all sold separately
- Strengthens and increases flexibility of shoulders, neck, back and hind quarters
- Use light pressure until your horse gains confidence in this style of lunging
Pony Size: 12-14 hands
Horse Size: 15-17 hands
Have more questions? Call or email us and we'll help you decide if this awesome tool is what you need!